- Capitalized terms used in these Terms shall have the following meanings:
- "Institution or Department of Higher Education" means the department or faculties from universities, academies, colleges, seminaries, conservatories, and institutes of technology, higher education is also available through certain college-level institutions, including vocational schools, trade schools, and other career colleges that award academic degrees or professional certifications.
- "NGO" means a not-for-profit non-governmental organisation that has been granted tax exemption under Section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance (Cap. 112).
- "Office of Service-Learning at Lingnan University", "OSL", "we", "us" or "our" means the Office of Service-Learning at Lingnan University, an non-academic department at Lingnan University.
- "Personal Data" means any data or information relating to an individual and from which it is practicable for the identity of that individual to be directly or indirectly ascertained, and in a form in which access to or processing of the data is practicable.
- "PICS" means any personal information collections statement provided by us to you on/or before the collection of your Personal Data.
- "Platform" means the Website and/or any mobile applications or other software, operated or provided by the Office of Service-Learning at Lingnan University in order to provide the Services.
- "School" means an educational institution that holds a User Account and pays the Fees (if applicable) in order for their students to act as a Volunteer through a User Account that is set up in connection with the School.
- "Service" means the processing, administration and provision of the following:
- posting and publishing of any Volunteer Opportunities offered by NGOs onto the Platform to be viewed by Users and applied for by Volunteers;
- enabling Volunteers to use the Platform to view and apply for a Volunteer Opportunity;
- provision of information to Volunteers and Corporate Volunteers on the Volunteer Opportunities that the Volunteers and Corporate Volunteers have participated in; and
- other related services that we decide to provide, from time to time, in our sole discretion.
- "Social Enterprise" means a for-profit company formed and registered under the new or a former Hong Kong Companies Ordinance which comply with our onboarding requirements.
- "Terms" means these terms and conditions for use of the Platform and the Services.
- "Third Party Materials" means any Platform Content provided, uploaded, transmitted, submitted or posted by or sourced from any third party that can be used, downloaded, viewed or accessed as a result of or through the Platform.
- "Third Party Provider" means any entity or individual (including, without limitation, any User, NGO or Corporate Volunteer) that is not the Office of Service-Learning at Lingnan University, who provides, uploads, transmits, submits, posts or is the source of any Third Party Materials.
- "Users" means any individual, entity or organisation, other than you, who accesses, views or uses the Platform or Services.
- "User Account" means an account established by us in connection with the Platform for a User to be able to use the Services.
- "Website" means the website at www.ln.edu.hk/osl/wecareop.php.
- "you" or "your" means you, the person who is accessing, using or viewing the Platform, and any Institution or Department of Higher Education, School, NGO or Social Enterprise on whose behalf you are accessing, using or viewing the Platform.
- "Your Content" means any Platform Content that is provided, uploaded, transmitted, submitted or posted by or sourced from you.
- "Volunteer" means a person who holds a User Account, and who uses the Services to volunteer and provide services to an NGO for free.
- "Volunteer Application" means the application to engage with a Volunteer Opportunity using a User Account through the predetermined procedure on the Platform.
- "Volunteer Opportunities" means opportunities offered by NGOs and posted on the Platform, seeking volunteers to provide services to that NGO for free.
- Whenever the words include, includes, including or in particular (or similar derivatives) are used, they are deemed to be followed by the words without limitation.
What type of Personal Data is collected by us?
- The types of Personal Data we may collect, from time to time, includes:
- your full name and email address;
- your mobile number and location;
- your photograph or any other optional profile information (such as gender, date of birth, living district) voluntarily provided by you in relation to your User Account ("Profile Information");
- information regarding any Volunteer Opportunities you have applied for or in which you have participated (including the date, time, venue and nature of the Volunteer Opportunity);
- the types of Volunteer Opportunities in which you may be interested;
- any communications between you and the Office of Service-Learning at Lingnan University;
- details of your visits to our Platform and your User Account activities;
- Your Content that is submitted by you via your User Account; and
- the information described in paragraph 3 below.
- If you do not provide us with your full name and email address, then we cannot set up your User Account and your will be unable to use the Services.
- When we request any other Personal Data from you, we will notify you at the time of collection as to whether or not it is mandatory for you to provide such Personal Data to us). If you do not provide any mandatory Personal Data to us, then we may not be able to: (i) process or complete your application for a User Account; (ii) provide you with the Services; (iv) process or complete your request to participate in any Volunteer Opportunities or to keep a record of the Volunteer Opportunities in which you have participated; (v) respond to any queries submitted by you; or (v) publish any of Your Content, as requested by you.
Information We Collect Automatically
- We use technologies such as, but not limited to, cookies and pixel tags to provide, monitor, analyze, promote and improve the Service and Platform. For example, a cookie is used to remember your user name when you return to the Service or Platform, and to improve our understanding of how you interact with the Service and Platform. You can block cookies on your web browser; however please be aware that some features of the Service or Platform may not function properly if the ability to accept cookies is disabled.
- Log Files
When you use the Service or Platform, our servers automatically record certain information in server logs. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on the Service, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, mobile carrier, and other such information. Log files help us to monitor, analyze, improve and maintain the Service and to diagnose and fix any Service-related issues.
- Device Identifiers
When you access the Service or Platform using a mobile device, we collect specific device information contained in your mobile device's “device identifier.” This device identifier includes information such as the type of device you are using, its operating system, and mobile network information, which may include your mobile phone number. We may associate this device identifier with your User Account and will use data associated with your device identifier to customize our Services and Platform to your device and to analyze any device-related issues.
- Location Information
We may collect and process information about the location of the device from which you are accessing the Service and Platform. Location data may convey information about how you browse the Service and Platform and may be used in conjunction with personally identifiable information. You can disable location based services in settings associated with the Service; however please be aware that some features of the Service may not function properly if location services are turned off.
How we use your Personal Data
- We will collect, retain and use your Personal Data for the purposes set out in the relevant PICS, or in accordance with any further express consent provided by you. Such purposes may include the following:
- processing and completing your application for registration of a User Account;
- administering your User Account;
- verifying your identity;
- providing you with the Services and any other services requested by you;
- providing you with information regarding any Volunteer Opportunities for which you have applied;
- to keep a record and provide you (and, if you are an Employee Volunteer, your relevant employer; if you are a Student Volunteer, your relevant School) with information and details regarding: (i) your User Account activities; (ii) any Volunteer Opportunities for which you have applied or participated; (iii) Your Content; or (iv) any Institution or Department of Higher Education, School, NGO or Social Enterprise, or types of Volunteer Opportunities for which you have expressed an interest;
- performing our obligations under the Terms or any other agreement entered into between you and us;
- enabling us to communicate with you in relation to your queries, feedback, complaints or claims, your User Account, your activities under your User Account, updated information related the usage of the Services, and any Volunteer Opportunities for which you have applied or participated;
- providing you with a more personalized experience in respect of the Platform, the Services or your User Account;
- subject to you prior consent and paragraphs 5 below, providing you with promotional materials, unless you notify us in writing of your objection to receiving such promotional materials; and
- enforcing our rights against you in any legal proceedings, or to defend ourselves against any claim, in relation to you;
- complying with applicable laws or regulations; or
- for any other purpose that you have consented to and/or which has been notified to you on or before the time when the Personal Data is collected.
- We cannot use your Personal Data without your prior consent for the purposes of providing you with marketing materials. We also cannot transfer your Personal Data to any third parties (including any NGOs) for their use in direct marketing without your prior consent.
- Subject to your prior consent, and the further details set out in the relevant PICS provided to you, we may use your name and email address to send you messages, announcements and/or information regarding:
- the Platform or Services;
- any mentoring opportunities organized by us in relation to volunteer work; or
- any Volunteer Opportunities offered by NGOs, or events or campaigns hosted by NGOs, that we think you may be of interest to you ("Marketing Materials").
- Subject to your consent, we may transfer your Personal Data to specified NGOs or Social Enterprises to enable them to directly send you messages, announcements and/or information in relation to the activities of the Institution or Department of Higher Education, School, NGO or Social Enterprise, any Volunteer Opportunities, events or campaigns hosted or operated by the Institution or Department of Higher Education, School, NGO or Social Enterprise.
- You can exercise your right not to receive some or all of the Marketing Materials, or to not have your Personal Data transferred to the NGOs for marketing purposes, by checking the opt-out box on the relevant forms we use to collect your Personal Data. You can also opt-out of receiving any Marketing Materials at any time by notifying us in writing at the email address stated in paragraph 12 below, or through your User Account.
How we share your Personal Data
- You agree that we may share the information we collect from you with third parties as detailed below, in order to achieve the purposes outlined in the PICS provided to you on or before the collection of your personal data, and/or in accordance with any express consent provided by you. Some of the below third parties may be located in countries outside the country in which you are located, including in countries that may not provide the same level of data protection.
As Directed By You
- We will display your Profile Information on your profile page and elsewhere on the Platform in accordance with the preferences you set in your User Account. You can review and revise your Profile Information at any time.
- We will display Your Content on the Platform, as directed by you. You understand and agree that Your Content submitted via your User Account for posting on the Platform, shall be publicly available and can be viewed by anyone who accesses or uses the Platform.
With Trusted Service Providers
Institution or Department of Higher Education, School, NGO or Social Enterprise
- We may provide your Personal Data to Institution or Department of Higher Education, School, NGO or Social Enterprise who are hosting or operating the Volunteer Opportunities that you have applied to join, in order to enable the Institution or Department of Higher Education, School, NGO or Social Enterprise to process your Volunteer Application and to provide you with information regarding the Volunteer Opportunity.
- As stated in paragraph 5.3, subject to your consent we may transfer your Personal Data to specified Institution or Department of Higher Education, School, NGO or Social Enterprise for the purposes of enabling them to send you direct marketing materials.
With Law Enforcement or In Order to Protect Our Rights
- We may disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or pursuant to any order issued by a court, tribunal or regulatory authority of competent jurisdiction. We may also disclose your information to our legal counsel, governmental authorities or law enforcement if we believe that it is reasonably necessary to do so in order to enforce our legal rights; comply with a law or regulation; to protect the safety of any person; to address fraud, security or technical issues; or to protect the Office of Service-Learning at Lingnan University's rights or property.
In an Aggregate and Non-Personally Identifiable Manner
- We may disclose aggregate non-personally identifiable information (such as aggregated and anonymized data usage, platform types, etc, which do not amount to Personal Data) about the overall use of our Service and Platform, to the public or to interested third parties to help them understand, or to help us improve, the Service and Platform.
In Connection With a Sale or Change of Control
How We Protect Your Information
The security of your Personal Data is important to us. When you provide Personal Data through the Platform, we encrypt the transmission of any Personal Data that we deem to be particularly sensitive by using industry-standard encryption.
The Office of Service-Learning at Lingnan University uses reasonable and industry-standard physical, managerial and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your Personal Data. For example, we continuously and regularly back-up your data to help prevent data loss and aid in data recovery. We also guard against common web attack vectors, we host data in secure data centres, and we have firewalls and access restrictions on our servers to secure our network and to better protect your Personal Data.
Risks Inherent in Sharing Information
Although we take reasonable steps to safeguard your Personal Data from unauthorized access, use or loss, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We cannot control the actions of other Users with whom you share Your Content and we are no responsible for any third party circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures on the Service.
Your Rights to Request Access to or Correction of Your Data
- 9.1 You have the right to request access to or correction of your Personal Data or Your Content held by us, by issuing a request in writing to the email address set out in paragraph 12 below. During the correction of your data as per your request, you understand that we will be able to access the Personal Data and Your Content held within your User Account.
- You must keep your Personal Data held by us up-to-date. You may update or correct your User Account information at any time by logging in to your User account and making the changes yourself, or by contacting us (see contact details in paragraph 12 below).
The Office of Service-Learning at Lingnan University does not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Data from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for a User Account. Children under the age of 13 must obtain parental consent before they apply for a User Account, use our Service and/or provide us with any of their Personal Data.
- Wish to submit a request to access or correct your Personal Data held by us; or
- Wish to withdraw your consent to the receipt of any Marketing Materials.